A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Sunday, September 29, 2013

How Much Work....

This is the question I get asked the most is "how much work is it to take care of all those critters?"  I will be honest and say that it is a lot of work - but its so worth it for me because the joy I get out of having these little furries in my world far outweighs the chores that go along with them.  But, since you asked, the chore list goes something like this:

Daily:
Ear meds for Zoey and Ollie 2x a day
Check food and water feeders
Give Nigel his worms
Pick up messes - mostly ferret and cat messes of various types
Pick up what seems like a thousand toys every day
Take attendance - I make sure I put hands on each critter at least 2x a day
Give Emma her wet food
Give ferrets sticks and ferretone
Give Nigel out of his cage time

Weekly:
Clean out cat boxes - this happens every 2 days or so
Clean out Nigel's cage
Critter laundry - Nigel's blankets, various rugs and pet beds

Every 2 weeks:
Clip 5 ferrets nails - 20 nails each - that's 100 nails every 2 weeks

Every 3 weeks:
Bathe and mani/pedi for Nigel

Monthly:
Emma's heartworm/flea/tick treatment
Clip Emma's nails
Clip Kitty nails - they only have back - only 40 nails
Bathe Emma - as needed - she usually needs it

Every 6 Months:
Nigel and ferrets to the vet

Annually:
Kitties and Emma to the vet

That's my list...

No comments: