A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A New Wheel for Nigel

Nigel's big blue wheel has an awful lot of miles on it.  I think it might be time for a new one.  There are two cracks on his wheel I currently have covered up with duck tape.  He doesn't seem to care but it looks ugly and it makes it hard to clean.

I was looking on PetCo and on Amazon to order him a replacement when I stumbled on these instructions to make him one from scratch - wow - how I love DIY!!!



I just may have to give this a try:

 *1 Bucket big enough for a Hedgehog to run in(I got my 5qt Wide Mouth Bucket from Home Depot, but you can use any bucket big enough for your hedgie to run on!)
1 length of the smaller diameter PVC Pipe(the diameter isn't too important; just not too thick, not too thin)
2 PVC Elbow Joints
3 PVC End Caps
1 PVC Three way joint
1 Roller Blade Wheel with exposed holes around the bearing whole.
1 Roller Blade/Skateboard Ball Bearing
1 Carriage Bolt; See Detailed Picture(I forgot the measurements of it, so take your Ball Bearing to your local hardware store and find a Carriage Bolt that fits snug, and isn't too short.)  IMPORTANT!:  Make sure that the nuts and bolt you got don't impede the spinning capabilities of the Ball Bearing, and have them only secured onto the inner metal ring.
2 Washers
3 Nuts
4 Mini Zip Ties

Optional, but Recommended:
Dremmel Tool, but if you have your own way of cutting PVC and making precise holes in the bucket, go for it.

There are detailed instructions and pictures here should you be inclined to take a look.  I will post pics if I decide to be adventurous and try this one out.... 

No comments: