A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Thursday, September 05, 2013

Nigel Update

You know, if I am being totally honest - Nigel has not been getting the same amount of attention he used to before these crazy babies (Finn, Violet and Theo) came into our world.  So - I have decided to make a much more conscious effort to spend more quality time with him.

It's not that he was neglected by any stretch.  He was checked on daily, hand fed his treats, picked up, loved on, his cage taken care of, baths and nail trims every couple of weeks.  But - it wasn't the same one on one attention we used to share - having him out of his cage all day - checking on him, waking him multiple times a day, letting the other critters interact with him, etc.

So - we have started the old routine of getting him up about 11:30 in the morning and letting him sleep in whatever room I am working in.  The critters have full access to him so he is visited throughout the day.  I have been giving him special treats now and then - some unseasoned, cooked meat, fresh fruits, yogurt, etc. I usually put him to bed around 8 pm so he can get back in his cage and have a bite to eat.  He seems to be enjoying it - although - the reality of it is - hedgehogs are solitary creatures.  They live alone in the wild and they are perfectly content to do their own thing.  I like to think that his little hiatus from interacting with the family as much was just fine with him.

I am enjoying spending more time with him as well - he is a funny little creature.  That little hedgehog face gets me every time - still as cute as the day I got him:










No comments: