A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Saturday, December 13, 2014

The Worries of Pet Parenthood

Having this many critters is not without incident and there are a few worries.  Zoey has a bit of a cough. This is not totally unusual for her as she is a compulsive bather and often gets large hairballs that sometimes she can't get rid of.  I have given her some hairball meds - and just in case a bit of vitamin C to help her fight off anything.  She seems fine otherwise - eating, drinking, litter box usage, energy levels all normal.  Keeping an eye on her.

Winston found his way into some chocolate.  Luckily not very much before I caught him and he seems no worse for the wear.  From what I can tell from internet research he would have to consume a significant amount for it to be toxic and I would estimate him to have had an ounce - maybe 2 at the most.  Significant would mean one ounce per pound so - 24ish ounces....keeping an eye on him as well but its been 10 hours with no signs of any distress.  He is eating, drinking, using the litter box, playing - etc.  Sigh.

Tabitha snuck into the bathroom while I was cleaning and proceeded to stick her tongue in mopping solution.  Cripes!  Needless to say - she didn't like it - we did lots of water from the water machine to flush her system.  I don't think she ingested any and if she did it was such a small amount.  She has been checked on several times since and is just fine.

And last but not least - the three eldest ferrets made a jail break and made it downstairs to piggy land. This may not be a big deal - they love downstairs and they like to interface with Winston.  My concern is that he will step on them.  I found the breach quickly - they were downstairs for about 5 minutes. When I came down to find them and very excited piglet greeted me.  I have checked them over several times and checked on them every couple of hours since.  No one seems to have any issues.  Theo seemed more intent on getting to the Christmas tree than getting near the pig.  Violet interfaced with him I think - her tail was pretty floofy indicating that she was excited.  She seems fine - no strange gut sounds, normal heart rate, eating, drinking, playing and normal outputs.  Madison seems fine as well - she is not all that interested in the pig so I would guess no time spent together.  Needless to say I am worried - after Finn and his unknown cause of death I am totally paranoid.  I will be checking on my babies over the next few days and if I think any of them need to see the vet I will be taking them in right away.

No comments: