A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Gravy

The ferrets eat kitty food for the most part. Sometimes they snack on dog food as well...both have been approved by the vet and have the right nutritional values for them to be healthy.  At the pet store they feed the ferrets Marshall ferret diet - so - when Bash and Fiona came home with us I made sure to have some on hand.  They offer it to the pet shop ferrets dry and mixed with water into a paste.

My ferrets love to drink warm water for some reason - all of them.  They love bath time and love to lick the water - so much for bubble baths.... Anyway - I decided I will make the new babies some wet food as well as offer the dry food in addition to the cat food.  I put some of the ferret food in their bowl and then added warm water - way too much warm water which made for a very soupy gravy like substance. Well - wasn't that just a happy little mistake??  They LOVE it!!

So - now every morning and every evening we have the ritual of making gravy.  I put the dry food in there and they stand around the bowl waiting for the addition of warm water.  Once it goes in they start lapping it up.  They are very silly - sometimes they think that what the other one is getting is better so they stretch their necks across the bowl to lick closer to their sibling.  Sometimes they think what the other is getting is so great they try to lick it off each other's chins.  Bash and Fiona love it - would expect that since they are new babies.  My almost one year olds - Kai, Tabby and Harlow also love it.  Maybe its like a comfort food for them?  I wasn't sure if my 2 year olds - Violet and Theo would like it - they do!! Even Madison my 3 year old has a bit of a taste now and then.

Happy they love it and they still enjoy their cat food as well.

No comments: