A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Too Much Togetherness???

Constant togetherness is fine - but only for Siamese Twins.... - Victoria Billings



We have been going through a bit of a naughty phase with Mr. Piglet here lately.  I think he just wants to test the boundaries and try to see how much he can get away with.  We are trying a new approach to how our days go and I have to admit it seems to be working.

It used to be that I would spend ALL day with him - heading downstairs around 7 am and heading up to bed sometime around 9 pm.  He would have constant companionship all day long and I think he got a bit spoiled.  In addition - the ferrets sometimes got short changed on the amount of time they got the humans for.

Last week I had to be in the office which is not the norm - and I found that he was much better behaved on the days that I was away.  Our interactions are much more positive for some reason.  So - I decided to change things up a bit.  I still feed him at 7 but I come back upstairs and hang with the ferrets and get ready for my work day.  Then I go back downstairs over the course of the morning depending on my meeting schedule.  When I go its specifically to interact with him so he gets my undivided attention.  It might be a short training session, a trip outside to go potty or maybe a grooming session where we clean out ears or file his hooves.  Rather than having me all day long with my attention being other places he gets very focused one on one time throughout the day and his behavior is much better.  In addition - I get little weasely visitors while I am working upstairs which I love.  Everyone seems pretty happy.

Emma splits her time - sometimes she hangs out downstairs with Winston and sometimes I bring her up with me.  Kitties are mostly downstairs - Ollie and Phoebe occasionally head upstairs but not all that often.

Now - don't worry about my boy - I promise he gets lots of love, attention, kisses, cuddles, etc.... but having less together time is making our interactions that much better.  I am happy with our new way of dividing our days....

No comments: