A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The Cookie Bin

Yesterday I went on an very important mission - a trip to the pet store to replenish the cookie bin.  The pig and the dog go through lots of cookies and the bin was getting a bit bare.  I like to have a good variety in there so they get different things over the course of the day.  I also try to make all of them meat free since we are not trying to bulk up the piglet's weight.  The other thing I try to monitor is the percentage of protein - wow - some of them are 25 - 30% protein and that won't help when trying to control a little piglet's weight.  I try for 5% and under which is pretty hard to find.  I don't usually go over 10% as a rule.

Emma and Winston love it when we replenish the bin because they get a bit of a buffet as I let them sample the new cookies as I get them out of their packaging and into the bin.  There are a variety of sizes and flavors ranging from tiny little stars that are great for training - you can do 5 - 6 of those before you equal the size of a regular cookie - to sweet potato fries which are a big hit with both of them.  We adjust Winston's food intake accordingly so on days that he has an abundance of cookies he gets a little less in his dinner.  Emma never seems to budge in the weight department  - she has been 46 - 48 pounds for years.  I don't worry so much about her especially since she walks with us each day.

This run I got enough to fill up the bin (a plastic box with a lid that snaps shut) and have a few spare bags/boxes in reserve.  I would hate to see what happens if one lets the cookie bin get to empty....

No comments: