A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Friday, October 28, 2011

Holistic Approach

So I have been doing tons of research about what we should do for the Zoey kitty.  The challenge is that the only way to know if she has cancer is to do the surgery.  This would also determine the type of cancer as well.  Without knowing that we can't do chemo therapy.  I visited several websites and found out that kitties with intestinal cancer who have the surgery extend their lives on average 8 weeks or so.  Given the severity of what they need to do it seems to me like it would take more than 8 weeks for her to recover from the whole process so I am leaning towards a firm no on the surgical option.

I have found 6 or so holistic things designed for kitties that I am looking at with my mom (who is an herbalist) that we will consider trying.  She is working on determine the ingredients for all these choices and figuring out which things are contra indicated.  The good thing about this approach is that these products do demonstrate the slowing of the growth of cancers in cats but if she doesn't have cancer they are natural products that will boost her immune system and not cause any issues.  In some strange way it makes me feel better to have a plan.

Since my last post she has done well - eating frequent small meals, drinking, going potty and today we are hanging out together on the bed.  She seems content, purring, still a little congested from here respiratory thing but all in all and pretty happy kitty.  If we could keep her at this level of health for the long term I would be thrilled.

With all the craziness going on with Zo - I have been lax at reporting on my other babies.  They are doing well. Aggie is so happy to have Zoey home.  Everyone has been curious - sniffing her vet smells.  Its a challenge to keep the other kitties out of the litter box and special foods that Zoey needs.  Clooney and Nigel are both doing well - Nigel has been playing downstairs which he seems to enjoy.  We will establish a new normal over the next few weeks.....

No comments: