A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Sunday, April 07, 2013

Colloidal Silver to the Rescue...Again

I have written about Colloidal Silver several times on the blog and I continue to be so impressed with it's abilities and effectiveness.

This is what I purchase from Amazon.com - it comes in a two pack:


A couple of days ago I noticed that Oliver was exhibiting signs of a Urinary Tract Infection.  The symptoms are usually something like:


  • Bloody or cloudy urine - his had a tinge of pink
  • Prolonged squatting in litter box (or other places) with very little or nothing coming out
  • Squatting in places other than the box
  • Crying when using the box
It had been a very long time since Oliver had been sick - in fact the last time was almost 8 years ago and it was also a UTI - I remember only because it happened the same week as my wedding.

Anyway - back to my story - he started exhibiting signs at about 7 pm - long after the vet had closed.  In desperation I decided I would start on the colloidal silver.  I used a syringe to administer 1 teaspoon by mouth - which he wasn't all that thrilled about I might add.  That is a fairly large dose based on his weight.  I also soaked a cotton ball and put it on his - ummm - parts...with the hopes that if there was burning it might help.  Within about 30 - 45 minutes the prolonged squatting and squatting in places other than the box had stopped.

About midnight I gave him 1/2 teaspoon.  He rested comfortably all night.  He got four doses over the course of the next day at 1/4 tsp each.  Everything seems to be back to normal.  He is eating, drinking, playing and using the box normally.  He will continue on 4x a day for 3 days - similar to getting an antibiotic.

I did place a call to the vet to discuss what I had done so far and my plan to get his input.  He said that if its working go with it.  It's much better for the cat than going through a round of powerful antibiotics.

So - here's how it works.  In contrast to medical antibiotics that can be used only against specific microbes, colloidal silver has a wide range of effectiveness, eliminating bacteria as well as viruses and fungi. Unlike medical antibiotics, colloidal silver is not known to cause undesirable side effects. 

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/010038_colloidal_silver_natural_antibiotics.html#ixzz2Ph0G8vJ2

I give it to Phoebe when she shows signs of her allergies starting up.  I use it topically on cuts and when the hubs or I get sick I put it in the water dish so the ferrets and the hedgehog get some protection as they can catch human viruses.

I am a true proponent of this stuff - although I am also aware that it is not the be all end all and in some cases does not take the place of medical intervention and prescription drugs.  I always check in with my vet when I use it just to make sure I get his opinion and I take my guys in for a check with him if he thinks its warranted.

As always - my disclaimer - I am not a vet and have no training or expertise in this area.  Use this product at your own risk and check with your vet to ensure the right course of treatment.

No comments: