A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Hedgehog Happening

My little Nigel has only had one bad thing happen to him  in his whole life.  Once when I was clipping his back toenails I cut too close and it hurt and he cried and he bled for what seemed like forever.  That was the only bad thing that had ever happened to my little dude....at least until last night.

You see - he is loving that we have the upstairs rooms gated  for the baby ferrets which means that he can run free in the afternoons and evenings and sometimes all night.  The last few nights he had been playing and running and all was well.  Last night he got a bit adventurous and decided to take a trip down the stairs.  Even that was okay - it was coming back up where the incident occurred.  Somehow he managed to get his nail snagged in the carpet - really really snagged - like cut the carpet with scissors snagged.  He was stuck for some time - only he knows for how long.  I hope it was just a couple of hours or less - hubs found him about 7:45 this morning.   I know he was fine at 12:40 or so before I fell asleep and I know he typically sleeps between 1 am and 5 ish am so hopefully it was sometime after 5 am that he got stuck.

We immediately cut him loose and I was holding him.  He wanted me to know just how pissed off he was so he bit me on the finger - one long chomp.  He never bites so I know he must have been very upset.  Needless to say - we did a nail trim and we did cuddles and pets and a treat of some worms.  Then back in his cage for a long nap.

I got him up this evening and he was in a very happy mood.  He is running around our bedroom but one thing has changed - a baby gate went up across the hallway so he can no longer get to the stairs.  I am glad he is okay and heartbroken to think of him stuck on the step.  Poor little guy - he is resilient though and is playing with Finn as I type - well okay not really - he is huffing while Finn is trying to play with him.

So now he has had two bad things happen to him - I vote for no more additions to that list.

No comments: