A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Four Ferret Update

Ahh - the ferrets.  They are doing so well!  First I am happy to report that we have made it 24 days with no hint of the icky ECE virus that we dealt with when we got Madison.  I am so relieved.  Clooney got it about 21 days after we got Madison so I am hoping we are in the clear.

Clooney - he is still a grumpy old man - bullying the babies and occasionally beating up on Madison.  I have been doing some research and it seems that this is less a Clooney trait and more an older male ferret trait.  He is going strong on the health front.  He seems to be pretty happy when he's not being grumpy - he has been sleeping with us frequently and he plays in the mornings after he visits the hubs in the shower.  All in all I think the patriarch of the family is doing well.

Madison - she is so happy to have her babies around.  The three musketeers are inseparable - they play together, sleep together and generally love hanging out together.  This makes me so happy to see her playing and enjoying some ferret companionship.  She is doing great - her energy levels have increased and she sleeps like a young ferret - totally sacked out.

Finn - wow - this boy is full of personality and orneriness!  He is in play mode or sleep mode and there is not much in between.  He is the investigator - checking things out, trying new foods and drinks, trying to make friends with the kitties and the hedgehog.  Last week he crawled in my purse and went to sleep.  I grabbed my purse and got in the car and got to the shopping center when he crawled out to say hi - back home we went.  I think he is happy here and feeling comfortable.

Violet - she is so sweet and laid back.  She loves to play but is not so hip on being picked up and held - she wiggles.  She is much more cautious than Finn.  She has a special thing going with Madison - they do love each other.  She is not as settled in as I would like her to be - she still gets startled and scared at times and she doesn't realize yet that this is a safe place where nothing bad will happen to her.  I hope over time she becomes more secure - we work on it each day.

No comments: