A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Monday, February 03, 2014

The Rantings of A Zookeeper

Today I am ashamed to live in my city.  The Chamber of Commerce has decided to invite Michael Vick to keynote an upcoming event called an Evening of Champions.  They are going to invite someone who is most definitely evil to his core to come into our community and show our youth that being an athlete allows you minimal consequence for being a felon and a person who tortures and kills animals.  They are going to teach our youth that throwing a football well can excuse the most heinous of crimes – killing innocent creatures. 

Michael Vick is not a champion.  Michael Vick is someone who has something wrong in the depths of his soul.  He is someone who has a disrespect for the gift of life for others and yet gets to enjoy his to the fullest.  The only role modeling he provides is that of what you should not be.  I am truly appalled and disgusted that the Chamber with make this selection.  Further, I am even more disappointed that they have no interest in listening to and representing the public as there is a petition with thousands and thousands of signatures protesting this invitation.  Their social media channels have been flooded with comments from people like myself that are angry about this decision.  And still they move forward.

There are some who think he deserves a second chance, that he has paid his debt to society, blah, blah, blah.  If you feel that way – you are entitled to your opinion.  There is nothing anyone can say that will change my mind about Mr. Vick and the atrocities he committed.  There are things that are truly unforgivable in this world and what he did to those animals is one of them.  


I have signed the petition.  I have emailed the Chamber.  I have emailed the members of the Chamber that work for my company.  I will boycott the businesses that employ the members of the steering committee for this event.  There is not much more that I can do other than continue to be angry and embarrassed.  Chamber of Commerce – shame on you…

No comments: