A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Things I Love about the Ferrets

Valentines Day is just a few days away and in honor of that I thought I would share the top 10 things I love about each of the critters.  First we will start with the ferrets:

Clooney -
1.  I love that he is my first ferret - he has the perfect demeanor and was a patient boy teaching me all about how to care for ferrets.
2.  I love his sweet face - those big eyebrows and now that he is older - he is literally long in the tooth so his little fangs show more now than ever.
3.  I love the bald spot on his tail - he got that from Isabel - she bit him when he was chasing her when he was a baby.
4.  I love that he is still active and interactive and while he doesn't love to be held he does love to curl up next to you and have you give him pets while he snoozes.
5.  I love his scent - they each have a distinctive faint musky scent.
6.  I love that he is starting to be friendly with the babies - they are so good for him - they keep him young.
7.  I love that for the bulk of his life he hardly ever made any noise and now that the noisy babies are around he has learned he has a voice and he uses it.
8.  I love that he always, always wants a stick and his ferretone and he is darn cute when he begs for it.
9.  I love that he is healthy and has been for all of his life.
10.  I love him - my sweet, eldest boy...

Madison -
1.  I love that she is so affectionate - kisses always at the ready.
2.  I love that she is tiny but can wallop on the boys without batting a ferret eyelash.
3.  I love that pink nose!
4.  I love that she is joyful all the time.
5.  I love that she has ever changing markings.
6.  I love that she loves her baby ferrets - she is so happy now that she has them!
7.  I love that without fail every morning she comes to see me and get some cuddles.
8.  I love that when she wants to be picked up she stands on her back feet and puts her front paws on your leg.
9.  I love that she is a pretty mellow girl.
10.  I love that she is happy and content.

Finnegan -
1.  I love that he is sweet and laid back and happy to be held and carted around and loved on.
2.  I love that face - he is handsome and sweet and those eyes.
3.  I love that he is friends with everyone or at least tries to be.
4.  I love that he is my fraidy ferret - its so much a part of his personality.
5.  I love that he is sensitive and hates getting into trouble - makes for a pretty well behaved ferret.
6.  I love that he loves toys and watching him try to hoard a giant dog toy is just about the cutest thing ever.
7.  I love that he is my ferret Starbucks junkie - that boy loves a chai latte.  He doesn't get much because its really not good for him but I do let him lick the foam off the inside of the lid.
8.  I love that when you squeak a toy his comes out from where ever he is so he can take that toy and add it to his collection.
9.  I love that he like to be rough and tumble with Theo and play softer with Violet and some of both with Madison.
10. I love that he is a happy and healthy boy.

Violet -
1.  I love that she is independent.
2.  I love that little gray and white face with her pink pink nose - she is a beautiful girl.
3.  I love that she doesn't take any crap from anyone and makes a ton of noise to let them know she is mad.
4.  I love that she uses her voice to express how happy she is as well - she is the dooker of the family.
5.  I love that sometimes she will just appear out from under the covers  - she has been sleeping there the whole time and you never knew it.
6.  I love that she is the nurse of the household - if anyone is feeling under the weather she wants to take care of them and will not leave their side - critter or human.
7.  I love that she loves yogurt covered pretzels - they are not good for her, but every now and then I get to give her one and its something only for her.
8.  I love it when she and Madison lay under the comforter and have girl talk like they are teenagers at a slumber party.
9.  I love that she is in excellent health.
10. In a strange way I love that she is somewhat aloof - she challenges me to find different ways to engage her.

Theo -
1.  I love his enthusiasm.
2.  I love that he kisses you so hard it hurts.
3.  I love that he still lets me hold him when he sleeps sometimes - none of the others will do that anymore.
4.  I love his ginormous ferret paws.
5.  I love that he is missing a tiny notch from the top of one of his ears.
6.  I love that he is curious and fearless.
7.  I love that he single-handedly converted Clooney into liking the babies - he refused to let Clooney bully him - he always treated that behavior as playing and showed him affection back - maybe there is a lesson to be learned there...
8.  I love that he is experimental - much more so that the others - he will try new things, new toys, new foods, etc.
9.  I love that he is just a tiny bit on the naughty ferret side of things - it keeps me on my toes.
10.  I love that he is my biggest, healthy boy - he makes me think about places and things that the other ferrets could never get too.


So there you have it - 50 of the millions of reasons I love my little weasels....

No comments: