A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Sunday, March 09, 2014

Reincarnation


I have often said that I was to be reincarnated I would want to come back as a zoo animal - perhaps an otter.  People are often surprised by this - many people I know are totally anti zoo.

Here's why I would want to come back as a zoo critter:

  • I am a whimp - I want to have my food and shelter always available and know that I am taken care of
  • I want to share the joy that zoos have always brought to me with others - how do you think I became this crazy over animals
  • I want to take part in the education that goes along with zoos - exposure to animals people would have never even known existed
  • Protection of the species - breeding programs have intervened to save many species that would otherwise be extinct
I know that there are some zoos that are better than others and there are cases where the animals are not treated well.  To do away with zoos is not the right answer.  We need to hold those zoos accountable for sure but not do away with the concept all together.

People who are not fans of zoos say that the animals are bored and unhappy.  I am not sure I agree with that.  I watch an awful lot of zoo cams and I don't think those critters are unhappy.  It would be like saying your cat is unhappy because you keep it in your house.  We have one kitty who used to be outdoor and has converted to indoor only.  I am almost certain that he is not unhappy.

Given how humans continue to expand and we push these critters out of their natural habitats I almost think in some cases the zoo is a better place than being invaded with industrial/residential creep into their natural habitat.

So, there you have it - my soap box on zoos.  

PS - I would come back as an otter for 2 reasons - first I am not a great swimmer and they are so graceful and at ease in the water and 2 - have you ever seen an unhappy otter??

No comments: