A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Dr. Finn

March has been a bit of a tough health month for the zookeeper.  Early in the month I had some dental work done and then a couple weeks after I caught a cold - ugh.

Finn has been quite the resident physician while I have been working through ailments.  The day I came home from the dentist he started checking my mouth.  He pushes his little nose on my lips and makes me open and then he looks in there to make sure things pass his inspection.  He did this multiple times a day at first - now that things are healing - only a couple times a week.

Then I had a cold - for the first few days I steered clear of the ferrets as they can catch my germs.  When I was sure I was over being contagious and was interfacing with them again - Dr. Finn was back on the case. He has been checking out my nose with his nose.  The interesting thing is he knows which nostril was plugged up and was only interested in that side.  As I have gotten better he has decreased the frequency of these checks but they still happen a couple of times a week.

I have noticed in the past that he is very aware of and interested in any kind of small wound too - a scratch, blister, cut.  He smells them and checks them repeatedly.  He seems to be the only one who is like this.

Violet is the nurse maid if any of the other animals are ill and she did check on me from time to time while I was feeling bad.  Theo was very dedicated and quite concerned - especially when I cough - a noise he is not used to hearing - but there were no inspections associated with his concerns.  Not sure why Finn is so interested.  He is quite sweet and its hard to feel cruddy with a handsome ferret Dr. in charge of your care...

No comments: