A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Potty Training - It's a Trial

Winston is struggling with getting the whole concept of potty training.  I think its frustrating for him and I know its frustrating for me.

I decided to do some research and found some interesting tidbits.  First off - I have to remind myself that he is only 11 weeks old - not even 3 months yet.  He is still a baby.... most of the articles say that between 3 - 6 months is when they learn to control themselves enough to hold it to go outside.

Outside is hit and miss - some days he does just great with outside - some days nothing - he refuses to pee outside.  Not sure what that's about.

I think our other challenge is that he is a pig that eats a few bites and then drinks and then eats and then drinks - this results in a huge amount of water consumption and that turns into a huge amount of pee.  I found a suggestion on a website today that we should wet his food and pick up his bowl when he eats.  This article suggests that the eat/drink/eat/drink behavior is not a requirement but just a habit that some pigs have.  I think I will give it a try tomorrow when I feed him and see how it goes.

As for number two - he totally has that mastered for some reason - every time in the box or outside - I think we have had one miss in about 5 weeks.

I am hoping things will continue to improve once he is neutered as well - that happens in late October.

Patience....

No comments: