A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Monday, September 22, 2014

Sunscreen and Pedicures

Little Mister is prone to sunburn - he has wiry hair but not enough to cover his skin fully and protect it from the sun.  He LOVES to lay in the sun and yesterday he spent a good bit of time outside with the hubs and he got a bit pinker than he normally is.  I did put sunscreen on him - really - I never thought that sentence would come out of my mouth - sunscreen on a pig....  Evidently I need a higher SPF factor for him.  It is a bit challenging to apply as he does't much like it.  Last night I applied a fairly think coat of baby oil (he doesn't like that so much either for the record) to the pinker parts and today he seems just fine.




Winston also gets hoof maintenance - geez - I want to be a pig.... I purchased a large emery board at the grocery and while he was laying out in the sun he was perfectly content to let me file his toes.  I am also thinking of purchasing some asphalt shingles and placing them by the back door so when he goes in and out he will walk on the rough shingles and self file his hoofs.  There is lots to learn about pig keeping I am finding.  It's a fun adventure though.

No comments: