A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Friday, January 15, 2016

Tick Watch


Well cripes - I found a tick on Winston this afternoon.  It was behind his ear.  I think I got it fairly early - it was hooked on for sure but it wasn't engorged with blood at all.  I read somewhere that you should always keep the tick, that way if you have a reaction they can test the actual bug, so I have it in a paper towel that is sealed up in a Ziploc bag.  ICK!


I immediately swabbed the area with Colloidal Silver and called the vet.  They said to keep an eye on him in the same way you would for a human who had been bit.  Check for rash, fever, loss of appetite, lethargy, etc.  So far he seems just fine but I will be keeping a very close eye on my boy.  I did a thorough check on Miss Emma as she was outside as well.  I did not find anything on her.  She just got her new Seresto collar a couple of weeks ago so I know she is very up to date with her flea and tick prevention.  Those collars last for 8 months!

In other news - kitties and ferrets are all doing great.  They have been fed, loved on, medicated and given their treats for the evening.  Emma is snoozing on the bed - hopefully she has a better night than last night.  It was awful - she was so restless.  Winston has had his dinner and some treats and is snoozing in his bed.  In a bit I will take him out for his last potty break.  I will check him over again then.  Tick watch needs to happen for 3 - 30 days....ugh....




No comments: