A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Monday, July 04, 2011

Fourth of July....

From a critter perspective I really am not a fan of the fourth of July.  First and foremost the Emma dog spends the long weekend in nervous breakdown mode.  She is so frightened of the fireworks and unfortunately we live in a sub division where multiple families shoot off fireworks for multiple days.  Did I mention this is illegal in our city, did I mention we are in a drought,  did I mention this is just one of the redneck things (I will post about the bonfires some other day) that annoys me about living in the south..... as you can see - not my favorite.

My other concern is the the total disregard for safety.  For their personal safety - whatever - if you want to blow off a finger that's your choice - have at it.  I am a fire chiefs daughter - I know the stories first hand (no pun intended).  The concern is that said neighbors will catch my house on fire and I will suffer great injury or worse trying to get 7 critters out in a fire.  We have practiced this several times - all critters but Nigel come when called.  We have a plan - let's just hope this isn't the year the morons manage to do it.  Reason 654 that I want to move to a farm with no neighbors.

Ah yes - but the patriotism outweighs all this nonsense - right?  Potato salad, parades, flags?  Ummm - not so much.  Maybe the outcome of 2012 will renew my spirit.  For today - I will attempt to keep the dog calm and be at the ready for emergency evacuation.....   Happy Independence Day....

No comments: