A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Wednesday, May 07, 2014

A Day in the Life of a Traveling Zookeeper - Day 0

By the time you are reading this we will have gone and returned but I thought it might be interesting to capture what happens when we travel:

It's day zero - the day before traveling.  It's always a nightmare no matter how much I do ahead of time.  Traveling when you have 11 critters can be challenging.  Add to that a few additional factors that make this zookeeper just a tiny bit more stressed....

  1. Clooney is considered an elderly ferret now and if something goes wrong with him health wise he would need immediate attention.
  2. SteveIrwin the betta fish is on antibiotics and might go to fishy heaven while I am gone.
  3. Theo - my youngest ferret didn't finish his course of antibiotics - it was simply too stressful for him and I found it made him worse not better - but - what if he gets sick while I am gone?
  4. Finn - my middle boy ferret finished a 5 day course and seems to be just fine - but what if he has a relapse?
So - let's chat about the steps we take to make travel stress free.
  1. Emma goes to Grandma's rather than the kennel.  She has play time with Quincy - my parents dog and she goes for walks and gets people food treats from Grandpa and I can call and get a report on how she is doing any time I like.
  2. Cameras, cameras everywhere.  I am up to 6 wireless web cams that I station throughout the house.  My super techie hubby gets them all working and I can access a still shot from my cell phone and a live feed from my laptop.  I can check in on them whenever I like and its a great way to keep an eye on food and water levels and to take attendance to make sure the gang seems fine.
  3. An awesome neighbor at the ready.  My neighbor across the street is at the ready should I think something looks funky, someone looks sick, someone is unaccounted for, etc.  She has a key and can go in to take care of whatever I need.
  4. A super pet sitter.  My critters know her and love her and she knows how I am when I travel so she goes out of her way to make sure she finds as many critters as possible when she comes 2 times a day.
The list of preparations for travel is quite extensive in addition to getting all the humans ready to go:
  1. Set up and test cameras
  2. Fill up food and water stations - sometimes multiple stations if the duration of the trip is long
  3. Close down the upstairs - we make the critters stay downstairs when we travel - they don't love this part but it makes it much easier on the pet sitter when she comes in to check on them knowing they are confined to downstairs and it makes it easier for the neurotic zookeeper to find them on the cameras.
  4. Block open any doors that need to stay open - Phoebe the youngest kitty is notorious for closing herself and others in rooms with no access to food and water.
  5. Relocate ferret sleeping spots - since they have to sleep downstairs I try to make them comfy with their favorite beds and blankets.
  6. Create a chart for what to do when for the petsitter
  7. Make sure the kitties have enough medication on hand
  8. Put up the gate in front of the front door - with everyone downstairs getting in and out can be a challenge - we use the playpen as a gate to make it so the pet sitter can get in and out without help from the critters.
And last - let's talk logic - which in my brain I know but somehow stress and worry can get the best of me:
  1. Yes, Clooney is getting older but the reality is he is in fantastic health so I have no need to worry at this point.  If he should decline - I can always choose to board him at the vets office so he can have someone there to intervene should something happen.
  2. SteveIrwin - well - there is nothing to do for that...hope for the best and try not to stress.
  3. Theo and Finn - they are both fine - I know this....quit worrying!!
So - tomorrow we are off on a grand adventure and I know my furries will do great and I will enjoy watching them from afar....I will miss them though!!!

No comments: