A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Friday, May 02, 2014

April Recap, What's on Tap for May and Other Stuff

I just realized I never did a recap of the whirlwind that was April.

Miss Madison had us worried with a very upset tummy.  Luckily it was short lived and a quick trip to the vet and some antibiotics fixed her right up.  I think whatever she had, the little boys have as well.  They also made a trip to the vet and were given the same antibiotics...more on that later.  We celebrated Zoey's birthday in April - 11 years old - wow time does fly!  I set my worms free from the confines of the composter.  I checked their worm pile a couple of days ago and they really seem to be thriving.  Last we added SteveIrwin - our new betta to the family.  I think covers April.

The little boys - oh my how they hate that medicine.  I tried the honey and it makes it tolerable for Finn but poor Theo - he was getting so stressed out by the whole experience that I think he actually got worse, not better.  I made the official decision to take him off the antibiotics.  His outputs since he got over the green stress related poo are actually quite good so I am okay with this decision.  Finn has improved dramatically in the output department and since it doesn't completely wig him out to the medication I will continue the course til its done.

As for SteveIrwin the betta fish - I suspect he came to our zoo a bit under the weather.  His first day was not all that active.  Day 2 was better.  Day 3 the poor little guy was on death's door - honestly I did not expect him to make it through the night.  Day 4 - he is a trooper!  I went and picked up some broad spectrum medication that deals with both fungal and bacterial issues and put that in his water. He was far more active during Day 4 afternoon so I am cautiously optimistic.  Just in case - we said our long goodnight before we turned in.  And here we are on Day 5 - surprisingly enough SteveIrwin is still kicking around the tank.  He seems a bit more active and was snoozing on his hammock when I went to check him this morning.  Still cautiously optimistic - more antibiotics went in per the instructions....

Looking ahead to May - travel for the zookeeper which is always an adventure.  2 trips - one will require a pet sitter and one will require the hubs to act as the pet sitter.  Its also my birthday month - a good excuse to test the waters for a new baby.  I have been pitching a new ferret or a micro pig - neither is getting much traction....

I think that about covers it...so...Hello May!!!

No comments: