A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Birds, Birds, Birds

Its been a very bird intensive week this week.  First the craziness with the Jordan Lake eaglet and wondering if she is going to be okay.  It looks like she has made it to the Carolina Raptor Center and folks there are trying to fix up her injured right leg.  Fingers crossed she will be okay.

I have set up a bird area in the yard with feeders for seed, suet and hummingbird nectar.  We have had lots of activity this year - our multiple year visitors - doves, cardinals, red headed woodpeckers.  We have lots of new birds as well - a family of bluejays and lots of other birds that I need to look up in my bird book.

Last bird event for the weekend - I have seen a couple of house finches in and out of my fern I have hanging on the porch.  I thought today I would take a peek at their progress in building a nest.  Much to my surprise - they have not only built a nest but filled it up with babies.  There were four tiny fuzzy little finch babies sleeping away in there.  I immediately put the fern back on its hook. Tomorrow I will use the long stick I have to stabilize the pot by bungee cording it to the porch support - this will keep it from swaying in any wind storms that might happen before those little ones are ready to fly the nest.  So excited to have babies on the porch again - its been a couple of years...

No comments: