A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Monday, February 15, 2016

Winston's Garden

Our little piglet eats lots of fresh veges and that can get expensive!  I want to feed him the things that will keep him healthy so we have decided to start a garden.  There will be lots of things in there for the humans but we will also have a large section devoted to Winston.

I started a ton of seeds and as of today I have baby lettuce, spinach, brussel sprouts, broccoli and turnips.  There are also baby corns and baby peas.  I am excited!

Once this crappy weather finally warms up we will rent a rototiller and prepare the area.  In March we can hopefully start to plant and then we can spend the summer enjoying fresh veges and canning the excess for use in the fall and winter.

I am particularly excited to grow our own veges so we will know exactly what was used on them while they grew.  You never know with things you buy in the store!

I will keep you posted on progress as we go along!


No comments: