A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Nigel the Marathon Runner

I like to let Nigel run in the bonus room in the evenings.  It's the perfect spot for him as it has a step down so there is no way for him to get out.  The room is filled with lots of hiding places for him as well as toys and tunnels for him to play in.  Hedgehogs are not active until late in the evening so about 9:30 last night I woke him and put him down on the floor.  It takes him a few minutes to get up the gumption to go but then he's off.

I played a level of Lego Pirates, he ran.  I left him in there playing and running while I took a bath and when I went back to check on him - still running.  I watched an episode on Mythbusters on the DVR - still running.  Long story short - he outlasted me!  I finally caught him and got him tucked into his cage for the night.

I did some research and found that those little guys can run up to 4.5 miles per hour and that they can run as many as 5 miles a night on their wheel.  Nigel goes around and around and around the couch and much to the delight of the cats he intermittently changes directions.  He seems to love it - he's definitely fun to watch.....

No comments: