A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Sunday, May 08, 2011

Separation Anxiety

Yes - I get it whenever we have to leave the zoo.  Over the years we have concocted multiple ways for me to put my worries to rest.  The best thing is putting up the wireless cameras that I can access via laptop or smart phone.  This allows me to take "attendance", monitor the house and check food and water levels.  We have folks we put on stand by that can access the house in case of emergencies.  When my official petsitters are in town (parents) - they check in daily and give the gang loveys and treats.  It works pretty well and when you do catch the critters on camera its kinda fun to see what they are up to when you are not around.


Here is a partial view of Nigel's pen.  I like to leave him in the pen rather than the cage so he has a bit more room to run around.  I can monitor his water levels, him running on his wheel which is a treat because he is a shy critter who won't run when someone is around and can generally keep tabs on him while we are gone.

I keep telling the hubs he needs to use his brilliant mind to invent a motion activated camera with an alert system so the phone beeps at me when the camera is set off.  So far - this hasn't made its way to the top of his to do list somehow....For now we will go with what we have.

No comments: