A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Monday, May 09, 2011

How Does One Give Medicine to a Pokey Little Critter Anyway?

So - it was back to the vet this morning with my little Nigel boy.  There were just two little spots on his tummy that I wasn't happy about so I wanted Dr. M to check them out just to be sure.  Glad we went as it was determined that this was the start of dermatitis - nothing serious and something we caught early.

Nigel was cooperative at the vet - love that.  We decided to go with oral antibiotics rather than a shot.  He is taking Baytril.  When I got home I decided to go ahead and give it to him so that if he should have any sort of reaction I could get him back over to the vet.  Its a liquid - suck it up into the syringe and hope for the best.  I put the syringe close to his mouth.  He sniffed and had no interest - so much for the fantasy that he would love it and lap it up for me.  So I followed his mouth around with the syringe which evidently he found very annoying because he bit it and I squirted - half way done!  Repeat methodology - bit at it again and the rest went down the hatch.  Not too bad.  He didn't like it but he wasn't naughty about it.

Doesn't seem as though there is any reaction of any kind - he had a rough afternoon of napping on the sofa.  Ah the life of a hedgie.  We will see how the next 6 days goes.  Hopefully this will clear up his bumps and he will be good as new soon!

No comments: