A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Monday, January 21, 2013

Ferrets are Excellent Climbers

They say - ferrets are excellent climbers.  I say that for the most part my ferrets are not climbers - they are good at it - but they just don't do it much.  Maybe its because they are free range ferrets?  Madison is much more of a climber and much more fearless than her brother so if climbing is going to happen its usually going to be her.  Usually....

The other day - after cleaning out Nigel's cage - I noticed that his litter box was moved away from the side of the cage and his water bowl was in a bit of a different spot.  I thought it was kinda funky because he had never moved that stuff before but I didn't really give it too much thought.  Yesterday, however, I went in his room to check on him and low and behold Clooney was in his cage.  INSIDE - geez.  The cage is 4 feet tall and the door is halfway up the middle.  Nigel didn't see to care - he was sleeping in his blanket all sprawled out and Clooney was happy snoozing on top of the pile of blankets.  I got Clooney out and he went to bed in his chair.

Last night when I put Nigel to bed I closed his cage door.  This morning when I got up - Clooney was in there again - not sure how he managed that but he was sleeping away.  So - I opened the door and left him in there.  I went back a bit later and he was sleeping in his chair again so I have determined he can get in and out on his own.  I don't really care if he goes in there and Nigel doesn't seem to mind.  I hope to catch him in the act of getting in so I can see how he does it.

I guess Nigel has a new part time roomie....

No comments: