A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Aging in Ferrets

I have been reading up on aging in ferrets as my boy Clooney is 5 years old now.  6 is the official threshold to be considered an elderly ferret - he will be 6 next February.  Luckily he is in good health - he passed his vet exam with flying colors.  He has a pretty good deal of energy these days - he is playful some of time, sometimes not so much.  He does sleep more than he did when he was younger.

We have baby gates up blocking some of the rooms off from the baby ferrets.  I am not sure how this is still working because I am certain that the baby ferrets could climb them any time they wanted but....Clooney climbs them multiple times a day.  I am happy to report that he is getting along very well with the babies and Madison.  The four of them are peacefully coexisting.  He and Finn are no longer squabbling and he and Violet were actually playing together yesterday....ahhhh progress.

In the coming months there may be adjustments that we need to make for him as he ages.  I hope we keep him young at heart and that we have many good years left with my sweet furry boy.


No comments: