A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Prominent Spleens


I spent a good bit of my plane ride researching prominent (enlarged) spleens in ferrets.  For the last couple of years Clooney's spleen has been feel-able when you pick him up.  Much more feel-able than the other ferrets.

Evidently big spleens are a common ferret ailment - well maybe ailment is not the right word because its not really an ailment.  In most cases it just is.  Ferrets can live for many years with an enlarged spleen.

There are some bad things....insulinoma, lymphoma and others but the general symptoms are lethargy, decreased appetite and fever.  He has none of these.  He is a happy, active, stick eating, non fever having boy.

About 2 years ago when his spleen became more prominent I vetted him and it was determined he was fine.  Since I pick him up about 42 times a day I feel his spleen often so I will keep an eye on him.

For now I think we will opt for no further action.

No comments: