A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Pen

We have one of these:

It works great.  I use it frequently for Nigel.  When we travel its where the younger ferrets live - Clooney the grump gets his own small bachelor pad.  Today - I had it set up downstairs because wanted to do some spraying in the upstairs bedroom.  I thought I would put Nigel and the ferrets in there and I would know they were safe and sound and far away from any toxins.  This plan worked great until he got put in the pen:


Clooney has been in that pen 100 times at least.  Madison, Violet and Finn lived in that pen for a week at the lake house this summer.  We have never had a breach til super long fuzz butt decided he did not like lock down and found a way out.  I didn't witness his two escapes but my guess is he is tall enough to reach the top bar - none of the others are.  Then he does a herculean pull up and voila - freedom.  This will pose a challenge when we travel.  I will have to see if he can figure out an escape if we have the cover over the top.

Theo got put in his vet carrier to keep him safe for the time I needed them secured - then everyone was set free.  Funny - they hate being cooped up but once I opened the pen up they played in there, Finn snoozed in there.  Its an okay place so long as its voluntary I guess.  Silly weasels.

No comments: