A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Monday, November 18, 2013

Theo's Trip to the Vet

Wow - November has been a tough month for the zoo - Finn went to the vet on the 4th, all the other ferrets went to the vet on the 5th and today Theo went again.

On Saturday Theo developed the start of a cough.  I wasn't sure what it was.  Sometimes Clooney gets hacky and I give him some honey to open up his airways and that usually fixes him right up.  I tried with Theo - he very much enjoyed the honey but continued to cough.  Then I thought maybe it was a hairball.  I gave him some Laxatone (hairball meds for cats) which he loved - but no relief.

Today I was very on the fence about taking him in.  He seems normal in all other aspects - just the cough.  I decided it was worth it to rule out anything contagious - we don't need 5 hacking ferrets!!  So - off to the vet we went.

Dr M checked him out - no rattling in the lungs, no wheezing, no problems with the trachea and nothing stuck in the throat, no blockage, no fever, no gunk in the eyes or nose....these are all great things.  He thinks its either allergies - which my seasonal allergy kitty Miss Phoebe has been sneezing up a storm - or that all the flea killing tactics may have irritated his system.  Either way - he should be fine!!  He got a little injection of ferret cough medicine and he is curled up with Violet sleeping behind the TV cabinet.  He was such a good little boy.

So - very glad I took him in.  Peace of mind knowing he is fine and that he won't make all his siblings sick is a good thing!!

No comments: