A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Day

Christmas is rapidly coming to a close.  It's been a fantastic holiday - I am very spoiled!  I am posting this - my first post on my shiny new laptop.  It's amazing!

Our day looked something like this:

Christmas Morning:  We spent the morning lounging - we needed to try to recover from the craziness of the last two days.  The critters got new toys - I put them in gift bags and set them out last night so they would find them in the wee hours.  They had much fun pulling them out of the bags, playing in the tissue and playing with their new toys.  I try to find toys I think each critter will like - sometimes I do okay and sometimes I hit it out of the park.  Violet got a plastic squeaky pig that she liked well enough to take upstairs and put into her private stash.  Finn got a stuffed rhino that has made its way into multiple locations over the course of today. Theo got a plastic mouse that is shaped like a cone with beads inside - it makes a ton of noise and he loves it.  I think he played with that toy for at least an hour today.  For a ferret that is an excessively long attention span.  Clooney and Madison got toys and treats - no big stand outs today for them.  Kitties got lots of toys and all of them have been seen playing and investigating the new loot today.  Ollie must be feeling pretty good because he spent the morning chasing a green ball all over the place.

Christmas Afternoon:  We headed a bit south to see my brother and sister in law and my parents.  My folks were watching Emma so we got to see her when we got there.  She had fun with grandma but she is glad to be home.  I have to admit I loved opening the door tonight and having her be here.  I miss her when she is not around.

Christmas Evening:  We headed north to the hubs family for a delicious dinner.  Now we are home and hanging out with our menagerie.  They are playing and wreaking havoc as usual - I wouldn't want it any other way.  The only damper on this Christmas season was losing my little guy Nigel - I miss him so and have shed many tears as I think about him.  I pick up his ashes tomorrow - not looking forward to that but I think it will make me feel better to have him home in some strange way.

Day after Christmas - might result in taking Christmas down - its done and I am ready to have things back where they belong.  We will see how motivated I am tomorrow....

For now - Merry Christmas - I hope your day was everything you imagined.

No comments: