A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Friday, December 20, 2013

Mr Nigel Hedgehog - November 26, 2010 - December 20, 2013

Our hearts are broken here at the zoo - its only been a short while since the animal hospital called to notify us of Nigel's passing.  Things happened so fast:

Yesterday he was fine - he didn't want to eat much but he was active and wiggly and he was playing with the ferrets and the cats.  This morning I checked on him and he was sleeping in his cage - all seemed well. Around 4:30 I went to get him for some cuddles and to see if I could get him to eat something for me.  He wasn't doing well - he was cold to the touch, very lethargic and not very mobile.  I knew he was in trouble...I had no idea how much trouble though.

We arrived at the vets office around 5:30 and they started assessing.  They never found a definitive issue. Around 9 pm we opted to leave him there for overnight care.  Things were progressing, he was eating and things seemed better and then suddenly for an undetermined reason he passed.  They think it was likely a blood clot - either to the brain or lungs.  He went very quickly and with no suffering - for that I am grateful.

I learned a lot from my prickly friend over the years - that hedgehogs are misunderstood and that if you are covered with pokey spines you can still be sweet and affectionate.  He taught me patience and together we learned about hedgehog tameness.  I like to think that he had a great life with us and that he was happy.  He was a well traveled hedgehog who had visited many states and many vacation homes over the years.  He conquered his fear of ferrets and became friends with Finnegan.  He was quite the gourmet taste tester and would try nearly anything he was offered at least once.  I will miss him so much.

Rest in peace my sweet boy - I hope you find Miss Isabel at the rainbow bridge and the two of you have much fun together.

No comments: