A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Monday, December 23, 2013

Christmas Eve Eve


Well - here we are - Christmas Eve Eve.  Today is the day of our 12 annual Eve Eve Bash.  In a way I am kind of thankful for the timing of events related to the hedgehog because I have a lot of distractions and the next few days will be CRAZY busy!

I am up early again - not sure why - I think it was the crazy weather we are having that woke me.  Its like July outside - 70s and pouring down rain...weird.  I am getting ready to start my part of the prep work for the party - I am spoiled as my brother and husband will be doing the lion's share of the cooking for today, tomorrow and Christmas Day.  This morning is very quiet - no critters are up yet.  Emma is at her grandma's with Quincy until we pick her up on Christmas Day.  I was kind of hoping that the ferrets would be up and playing - its hard to feel any sort of sadness when they are around - alas they are all still sacked out.

This evening will be filled with family and friends - the food will be amazing, the gifts are ready to go - all in all I think we are ready.  Parties are interesting for the critters.  The ferrets are quite social and like it when people come over.  We tend to lean towards closing them upstairs for the bulk of the time - there are lots of feet that can accidentally step on one of them and lots of opportunities for escape out the opening and closing door.  As for the kitties - we usually close them up as well - Aggie and Phoebe HATE parties.  Its about the only time the two of them get along - when they are hunkered down in the closet hiding from the strangers.  Zoey and Oliver love parties but they are total pains in the butt and in the middle of everything so they usually end up sequestered.  Emma is at my Mom's so she does not have to be locked up - she wants to be the center of attention so we decided it would be better for her to stay with Quincy and we will entertain for the next couple of days dog free.  I miss her though.

I am missing my boy, honestly still so shocked at the events of Friday evening and the speed with which things happened.  I am holding my other furry babies close and savoring every moment with them.

No comments: