A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Maddie's Got an Upset Tummy

My poor Maddie girl is feeling a bit under the weather this afternoon.  She was fine this morning and for the bulk of the day but about 5:15 she got up and went potty and it was not a pretty sight.

I  immediately called the vet - of course there wasn't too much they could do for me as they close at 5:30 but I did get to speak to her Dr. and he thought we should confine her and see what happens later tonight.  Ferrets have an incredibly fast metabolism and sometimes if they have icky poo the next round is better or even normal.  So - I have her resting in Clooney's traveling pen all tucked into her bed.  She is drinking so I don't believe she is dehydrated.  So far she isn't all that interested in food but she has both in her enclosure.  Now we wait for a few hours to see what the next output looks like and then make a decision as to whether we think she needs to go to the emergency hospital or if she can wait until 10:30 tomorrow morning when I have she scheduled to see her vet.

I am so hopeful this is just a one time thing - she is a very healthy ferret typically so I am not sure what could be ailing her.  Perhaps this is similar to Clooney's dietary indiscretion when he ate red licorice.  I will be keeping a very close eye on her -







Looks like Phoebe and Theo will be helping me....





I hope my baby is feeling better soon....

No comments: