A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A Spoon Full of Sugar...

Okay - really it's 1 cc of honey inside the syringe and a bit on the outside - this helped significantly to get the metronidazole into the ferrets this morning.  In fact - Finn - my little medicine taker didn't even struggle.  He loves honey and lapped his medicine right up.  I still needed the hubs to help me with Theo and he still was not all that happy about getting medicine but he was not pawing at his mouth or spitting it back at us.  Much less stressful for the boys and for the zookeeper.

Just a caveat - you have to be careful about honey and other sugary substances because ferrets don't have a good way to process these and giving them lots of sugary things often can lead to ferret insulinoma.  Both my guys are healthy in that regard so we should be fine using honey for this short time in very small quantities.  We do have a bottle of grenadine so I may try that for the next go around just to see if Theo likes it any better.  Either way - so much better than giving it to them straight.

I guess all is forgiven - as I type this they are playing on my legs and lap....glad they still love me - I sure do love them!!!

No comments: