A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Saturday, August 31, 2013

August Month in Review

I almost didn't write this because I am in total denial that we moving in September.  U G H where did this year go?

August was a busy critter month.  The big news was the total unexpected addition to our menagerie - Mr. Theo...he is still a wild child but I am pretty sure he is going to evolve into a sweet and affectionate boy - I see all the signs.  He has made us his family - it was a quick and painless evolution to him becoming one of the pack.  I am so glad he has come to live with us.

The other big happening was the humans taking a bit of a vacation.  This meant Emma got to go to grandma's for a week and the other critters got to have the pet sitter come to take care of them.  Everyone did just great and it was pretty stress free travel for me knowing that they were looked in on 2 x a day.

Business Update:

In case you missed my post about what you call groups of critters - a group of ferrets is called a business. We talked about Theo already.  Clooney is doing just great - his health continues to thrive which makes me happy as he gets closer and closer to that designation of senior ferret.  Madison - my wee one - is super. She is happy to play with those crazy babies but she also retreats into Nigel's room.  It's like the safe zone for both her and Clooney away from the babies.  Violet is great - she is still my independent girl but she is engaging more and more with the humans.  She is liking being picked up and loved on and she loves a good wrestle every now and then.  Finn is thrilled to have his new BFF Theo around.  I think he really loves having a rough and tumble boy to hang out with.  Those two play hard and rough and they are pretty much always together.  All in all the ferrets are doing just great.  No signs of any health problems thankfully.  I love those little furries!!  :)

Intrigue Update:

Yep - a bunch of cats together is called an intrigue.  I think that is kinda fitting somehow.  Kitty world here is pretty uneventful.  Ollie and Zoey both are doing well on their medication.  Zoey is quite snitty about letting you apply the gel to her ear but its getting a little better I think.  Phoebe seems to be doing well - she likes Theo and the two of them play chase often.  Aggie is also doing well - she is my easy going kitty - fighting with Phoebe and fighting off Oliver.  She is curled up next to me as I type this.  Love my little kitty intrigue - will get Aggie and Phoebe into the vet - likely when Theo gets on the insurance policy in about 6 weeks.

Dog and Hog Update:

One pup does not make a pack.  One hedgie does not make an array.  So - we will go with the dog and the hog update.  Emma is doing well - she seems to be a pretty happy girl.  She is still scratching on the carpet - ugh - but other than that is a good girl.  We have been walking a bit more since the oven/monsoon combo seems to have stopped.  Nigel is my happy little hedgehog - he is so go with the flow - happy wherever you put him down to snooze.  He likes Finn but not so much the other ferrets - not sure why.  He thinks Theo is a spaz and he would be right.  We have done bath/mani/pedi in the last week - he likes the bath part - not so much on the mani/pedi but he is a good boy and tries to be cooperative.

No comments: