A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Thursday, August 08, 2013

What's in a Name?

I am not a Spot or Fluffy kinda critter namer.  My guys all have people names and they all have a story about how they got their names.  I will make it short I promise:

Aggie - technically Agatha.  She was named by my mom who got her for me from some people in the RV park she and my dad were staying at when they came to see me in Atlanta.

Zoey - She was a white kitten - the opposite of Aggie the black kitty so we decided on a Z name - then proceeded to the census bureau and looked on the list of most popular names - Zoey was perfect for her. As she got older she was no longer the white kitty - she changed to be the orange kitty but the name still stuck.

Emma - She is named after my all time favorite running back Emmitt Smith.

Oliver - He was Boy Kitty while he was a stray.  We had Isabel and Aggie and Emma in addition to Zoey so we decided we wanted to try a vowel name or O or U.  Oliver it was.  Umberto just didn't fit him - LOL.

Phoebe - The hubs named her the day we brought her home - he came home from work and called her Phoebe almost from the minute he saw her.  I think it fits her perfectly.

Clooney - Clooney was named before he was even ours.  I saw him at the pet store and knew I had to have him and that he must be called Clooney.  I came home and told the hubs Clooney was at the pet store waiting for us.  He held out for 3 weeks but he finally gave in.  So glad he did.

Nigel - Hubs and I couldn't agree - we talked about Linus, there were other names in the mix that I don't recall - but we settled it by each of us making a list of names - one for each letter of the alphabet.  Nigel was the only name on both lists - so voila.  I will tell you he is named after John Taylor - bass player from Duran Duran - hubs would say Nigel Lythgoe from American Idol fame.  Whatever ..... I win.

Finnegan - His name came quickly after we got him - I think the same night.  I had watch a program with a character named Finn and it just fit him.  I thought we would call him Finn but mostly its Finnegan or Finny.

Violet - It took us a few days to come up with Violet's name.  We tried out a couple of names - Tess, Tessa - it just didn't feel right.  I think her coloring sort of led us to the name and when I suggested it we both liked it and it seemed to fit her.  And Violet she was.

And that's what's in a name....

No comments: