A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Friday, August 02, 2013

Pet Food Recalls - What's a Critter Keeper to do?

Sigh - there is another massive pet food recall out there this week.  Luckily its not any of the brands that I feed my guys but geez - how scary.  I am starting to believe that the food source for both humans and critters is not all that safe.

I have frequently considered taking the critters off of purchased pet food and creating my own.  For a variety of reason I haven't done it.  First, it takes a ton of time - there are days when I am lucky to cook something for the humans in the household, let alone critters.  Second, its tough to make sure that they get a balanced diet with all the nutrients and vitamins they need.  Third, I have 4 kinds of critters so its a large variety of things that I would need to make.  Last, getting them to switch could be tough - the dog and the hedgehog wouldn't care - the kitties and the ferrets - especially the ferrets would be much harder.

There are a gazillion articles and recipes out there - I have been looking at them again, contemplating whether I should start making food for my guys.  I likely will pass on this venture again for the reasons listed above but it doesn't make me feel better knowing at any moment I could be feeding them some tainted food. What is a critter keeper to do?

No comments: