A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Funny Things You Do When You Have Ferrets

Having ferrets has resulted in me having all sorts of quirky behaviors to accommodate those little weasels and to make sure they are safe.  For instance:

1.  Theo is a tall ferret and he can get to things the others can't.  Places like tables and cabinets and other areas where there might be breakables.  As a result I have started using museum gel to stick things down so he doesn't have the ability to push them off the edge which he LOVES to do.  I have all the items on top of my new china cabinet stuck down.  I also like to keep my dining room table set - we will talk about my addiction to dishes another day.  So I use the gel to stick the coffee cups to the saucers, etc.  It works great and is easy to take off and even better - reusable!


2.  The dishwasher -- oh how the ferrets love the dishwasher.  After years of fighting the battle of not letting them get in there while I load and unload I gave up.  They play in there while I clean the kitchen.  Then I check and recheck to make sure no one is in there when I shut the door.  Then when I start it - I check again.  Some days I am paranoid enough to check again after the dishwasher is already going.  So far I have never had any issues - I am really, really careful....

3.  The dryer -- the weasels are desperate to play in the dryer.  It is an absolute NO with absolutely NO EXCEPTIONS.  I had a traumatic dryer happening 30+ years ago - so traumatic that after all this time I still can't even type about it.  Needless to say I am totally dryer paranoid.  They are not allowed in the area where the washer and dryer are - much to their disappointment.  Often I just wait to do the laundry until they are all sleeping.  Even though I know in my brain they are all sleeping I still check and recheck.  If I had a nickel for every time I pulled a wet load of clothes out of the dryer to check to make sure no one was in there - I would be rich.  Yes, I know its illogical and crazy and all of that but I do it anyway.

4.  The door -- its always a  worry that one of them will get out.  Clooney is probably the least likely as he stops at the door.  I guess 6 years of being told no has some effect.  The babies are wild and some days its a total challenge to get out the door when you need to go somewhere.  There are days - when I am looking for someone and can't find them that I work myself into a panic - convinced one of they escaped.  They never have though.

I adore them and would do anything to keep them safe - even if it is irrational and quirky...  :)

No comments: