A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Thursday, January 09, 2014

Worm Update - They Have Arrived

I am relieved to report that my worms have arrived safely.  I was quite concerned that they would show up as a giant worm icicle given this crappy polar vortex weather.  They were just fine though - and they don't seem particularly stressed.  The literature provided indicated that they could be all tangled up in a giant ball of stressed out worminess - but they were active and seemed okay - with as much as I know about worm behavior.

I am happy that the half frozen earthworm I found yesterday on my way to the mailbox who was brought inside and given a warm bath and then put in the composter (yes, I know - its a sickness) has some worm friends to help him munch on all his worm snacks.  Supposedly these guys can eat 1/2 their body weight each day.  I have 1 pound + one driveway worm so that would mean they can gobble up 1/2 a pound of grub each day.  We will see.  I have set out quite the smorgasbord of paper, banana peels, celery, bread crusts - its an exciting worm buffet that has been waiting for some eaters....

Here is what they came in and what they look like.  If you have worm related heebie jeebies - look away now:




No comments: