A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper

A Day in the Life of a Zookeeper
Ever wonder what its like to share your world with a bunch of crazy critters? Tune in to find out!

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Worms are Hard

Worm composting has been more challenging than I anticipated...

There was something wrong with the environment in the worm composter - causing several issues:


  1. Many of the worms were all wound up together in a giant worm stressball
  2. The worms who were not a part of said stressball were finding ways out of the environment they did not like - this resulted in worms in the stand of the composter and worms who were out of the composter on the floor.  They don't last for long on the floor and dry up which makes me sad.
  3. They were stressed so they were not eating - this also makes me sad.
So - after tweaking, adding, taking out, etc - in desperation I set up a second tray which I stacked on the unhappy tray.  Whatever the second tray has the first does not because all of the worms have moved up one level and they seem happy and healthy and less stressed.  I have no idea what the issue was in the lower tray. I will give it a few more days for the worm migration to end and then remove the bottom tray completely.

I think we are on the right track - at least I hope.  The thought of unhappy worms is more than I can take... :)


No comments: